Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bartoli: The Wimbledon Champion Retires

Marion Bartoli, the 2013 Wimbledon champion, shocked the tennis world, by announcing her retirement, from playing tennis with immdiate effect, in a press conference, after losing a match to Simone Halep, at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati USA.

Bartoli told the press that, "It's time for me to retire and to call it a career.
I feel it's time for me to walk away."

She said that the reason, why she decided to retire now, was because her achilles, shoulder, hip and lower back, hurt her continually, whenever she is playing a match.

Marion Bartoli
 
After winning Wimbledon, which has been her long time ambition, she said to the media, which was a good indication, that she was finding it difficult to continue. She said that the Wimbledon took everything she had to be able to win it. She played the match in pains.

"That was probably the last little bit of something that was left inside me."

"It's been tough decision to take. I 've been a tennis player for a long time and I had the chance to make my biggest dream a reality."

"You know, everyone will remember my Wimbledon title. No one will remember the last match I played here."

"I made my dream a reality and it will stay forever with me, but now my body just can't cope with everything," Marion said tearfully.

The chairman and chief executive of WTA, Stacey Allaster, paid tribute to Marion Bartoli. "She is an inspirational champion and a great ambassador for women's tennis, who has dedicated her life to the sport and given so much back to the game."

"I am so proud of her for who she is, her values and for fighting to realise her dream of winning Wimbledon," the chief excutive concluded.
 
I have always like the way she carry herself, her character and professionalism. She behaves like a lady, with dignity. One never hear of her being stubborn, or involved in the petiness you hear often in women tennis, or being involved in using enhancing substance. Or any kind of scandal.

 I wish her a happy retirement and success in whatever her next career is going to be, since she said in the interview, that she don't know yet, what she is going to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment