Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Williams Sisters Crashed Out Of French Open

The French Open defending champion, Serena Williams (32), suffered a shocking defeat in round two against Spanish Garbine Muguruza, 6 - 2, 6 - 2.
Before the tournament began, Serena was the favourite to win the title again and retain the title she won last year, 2013. But as the match progressed, it became obvious that with so many faults, she was not her usual feisty and determined self.

Serena had previously won the tournament twice, in 2002 and 2013. All credit to her opponent, Garbine Muguruza, who saw that the defending champion was struggling in the match, so she took the opportunity that she had and won the match, which was the biggest victory in her career.

Serena Williams

The senior sister, Venus was also defeated in the second round by the Slovakian, Anna Schmiedlova, 2 - 6, 6 - 3, 6 - 4. Both sisters could have meet in the third round, had it been that they won their second round matches. Instead, they were both shown an early exit doors.

After the match, the very elated Venezuelan born Spanish resident, said,
''I was thinking I have a chance. I have to play really good to win,'' Muguruza said.

''There was a momment in the past games of the match, I was like, 'Oh. my God, I'm winning the set and then 4 - 1 or something like this.

''I was nervous, but I said, Ok, be calm. She's also nervous. I have the opportunity, so I have to continue like this to win,'' Muguruza added.

Serena said that she couldn't serve or play well in the tournament even though she didn't last long in it. That it was one of those days that one could not do things right or have ones own way.

''It was one of those days. You can't be on every day and gosh, I hate to be off during a Grand Slam. It happens, you know. It's not the end of the world. It is what it is,'' Serena said.

She said that Garbine played really well and smart. ''I think she played really well and she played really smart.''

''I just can't serve. I mean, my serve hasn't been good yet. I can't say this whole tournament, because my tournament didn't last long, but just in general,'' she said. Read also: africanfootie.blogspot.com

''You know, it's great, because I'm going to go home and work five times as hard, to make sure I never lose again,'' Serena added.

The big sister Venus who has won 7 Grand Slams to Serena's 17 said after the match, that she felt during the match that she was going to win.
''I felt like this was a match that I was most likely going to win,'' Venus said.

''I don't know how Serena felt, but I'm sure she feels like that every time she goes on the court. So I think our expectation was to play in the next round,'' Venus added.

No comments:

Post a Comment