Saturday, August 2, 2014

Another Adams' History - ''Scottish Rumble In The Jungle?

Nicola Adams (31) of England, has made history again in boxing, by winning gold and thus becomes the first female Commonwealth Games boxing champion, when she beat the Northern Ireland's Michaela Walsh (21) on Saturday, in the women's flyweight in Glasgow.

In the 2012 London Olympics, Adams made history, by becoming the first woman to win gold in boxing.

The Leeds based Nicola Adams, said to the BBC Sport, after her victory, that she was completely over the moon and was overwhelmed. She thought that it was a close fight.

Nicola Adams celebrating her victory

''I'm absolutely over the moon. I'm overwhelmed, I can't believe it. The support I have had - I'd like to say thank you to everyone, who has turned up today and to those who have supported from home.

''I knew it was close through the rounds, but I thought I had done enough to just take it. It's definitely been a Scottish rumble in the jungle,'' she added.

While her opponent, the young Irish woman, Michaela Walsh, disagreed with the decision of the judges, and tearfully said that she felt cheated out of the gold which she believed she won.

''It was a close fight, but I wanted it that wee bit more. She is Olympic champion and the two judges had it level, but I know in my heart I won the fight,'' Walsh said.

''I'd like to say congratulations to Nicola Adams, she is a great boxer for women's boxing, but I do feel I have been cheated of the gold,'' she added.

The sad and tearful Walsh, said that the fight was close and seemed to imply that she lost the bout, because Adams was an Olympic champion. Yes, though it was a close fight, some experts believed Adams won because she landed more clean shots than Walsh, thereby had slightly more points. What do you think? Did you watch the fight? Make your comment.
Read also: africanfootie.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment